Software Engineer - Special Projects
bit.io is building the fastest way to get a database, query data, and share data — publicly or privately. Despite the assertion that “data has become the new oil,” the tooling around databases has not meaningfully changed in twenty years. Even with the push for big data and machine learning, a frustrated, growing cadre of data scientists and engineers have to spend too much time setting up and maintaining a basic set up just to use data. bit.io allows users to become immediately productive with data, reducing time from data upload to query to 1 minute. And, our users love it, saying “Your product is amazing”, “really love your product, maybe the best on the market”, and “I am sold on bit.io”.
bit.io’s long term vision is to become the place for all the world’s data, private and public, just like github is the place for source code. We’re building a team of passionate dataphiles to make that vision a reality and make data - especially public data - more accessible to everyone. We’ve got a ton of thorny database, infrastructure, UI, and UX problems to solve along the way. Come build it with us.
Critical toward achieving bit.io’s vision is creating a community that (1) develops and shares unique, important datasets, and (2) uses that data in awesome, impactful ways. You will work on projects to bootstrap that community.
As a special projects software engineer at bit.io you will:
- Showcase bit.io publicly by using it to build and share impactful data projects
- Collaborate directly with product and engineering to refine bit.io’s product and to drive important use-cases
- Identify and create novel, unique datasets to bring onto bit.io
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Experience and passion telling stories with data
- Shipped product
- Deep knowledge in data management - parsing, cleaning, querying, extracting, etc.
- Expertise in Python, R, or similar data-heavy programming language
- Strong problem solving and scientific mindset
The ideal candidate will:
- Communicate difficult concepts in understandable language
- Be adept with SQL and database technologies
- Work with significant autonomy and learn independently
- Have built or maintained open source software (alone or with a team)
- Have a desire to educate the data community, to increase data accessibility, and to use open data to positively impact our world
bit.io is an early-stage, well-funded startup that’s fully remote. We’re outcome-oriented, scientific, curious, respectful, resilient, and inclusive. In addition to competitive salary, equity, bonus, and benefits (including top-tier insurance, generous new-parent leave, and unlimited PTO), we do two unique things: (1) in order to be inclusive and to counter systemic hiring inequities, salary and equity is transparent and not negotiated — every employee with the same role and level is paid exactly the same ; and, (2) we have 4-day x 8-hour work weeks (i.e., no Fridays) — we value work-life balance and think you’re just as productive . If you’d like to learn more about what we’re building, how we work, and how your career would develop with us, please reach out to email@example.com.
 https://blog.bit.io/how-our-early-stage-startup-is-offering-fair-equal-and-transparent-compensation-ae582a1ad8e4  https://blog.bit.io/we-have-a-four-day-work-week-and-you-should-too-795363c6202a