Senior Product Marketing Manager
Buffer is a platform of social media products made for small businesses. We help our customers stand out online and drive meaningful engagement and measurable results for their brand and bottom line. Our mission is to provide essential tools to help small businesses get off the ground and grow. Through exceptional customer service and uplifting content, we help companies believe they can succeed and do good along the way.
Our Culture and Values
Clear communication, transparency, open-mindedness, empathy, and patience are just a few of Buffer's cultural values. We are looking for a person who understands this culture and will thrive within a team of people passionate about self-improvement, honesty, and openness. Here's a guide on how we strive to communicate with customers.
Working at Buffer is collaborative effort built on the foundation of our core values. We try to be “No Ego Doers” who are aware of our assumptions, and joining us means you'll work together with the team in order to test and confirm our ideas. In our career framework, we choose to focus on the journey, the growth, and evolution that is a career.
We're cultivating a unique and robust culture, and building a different type of company that’s focused not only on the bottom line, but also the happiness and personal growth of our customers and team along the journey.
Where You'll Work
Buffer is a fully distributed team, which means that we’re spread across the planet. We have Bufferoos in 15 countries, 11 timezones, and 42 cities around the world to build a great culture and product.
As a Senior Product Marketing Manager, and in partnership with other PMMs you'll own the roadmap for Buffer product launches and help shape the Buffer go-to-market strategy. You'll work closely with cross-functional teams at Buffer to align marketing efforts with our strategic vision, define success criteria, and develop clear plans and milestones to maximize Buffer's adoption by the small business market. Day-to-day, you'll work hands-on and collaborate with marketing and product teams to execute on the go-to-market roadmap and engage our users by creating resonance through the art of storytelling.
About Buffer's Go-To-Market Strategy
As the Senior Product Marketing Manager, you'll be joining a team of marketers driving market awareness of Buffer's brand and products and bringing new products and features to small businesses in partnership with the EPD organization (Engineering, Product, and Design).
Buffer's primary way of acquiring new customers is via a direct, self-service model using the principles of Product Led Growth. Buffer does not have a sales team and relies on its strong brand, word of mouth, product-market fit, innovation, and marketing to grow its user base. While Buffer primarily targets small businesses – businesses of all sizes and prosumers worldwide rely on its publishing and audience engagement capabilities.
Our vision is a world with more small businesses that do good while doing well. As a Senior PMM, you will help broaden our core offer and create a stronger emotional connection with small businesses and audiences by highlighting what Buffer stands for as a company and brand beyond the product. You can read more more about our vision and values here. You will define how our company brand purpose informs new product initiatives and campaigns and use these campaigns to differentiate our brand.
We have big plans to better connect our company values of transparency and positive impact on the world with product innovation for customers in 2022 and beyond. We're looking for a creative product marketer to drive generative research to better understand Buffer customers and use cases in order to deliver innovation to our growing user base. Working closely with the Design, Engineering, Data, and Product teams, you'll find, execute, and grow the next significant growth opportunities.
Who You’ll Work With
In this role you’ll report to the VP of Marketing. Day-to-day you’ll work closely with other PMMs, the marketing team, product managers, and the data and advocacy teams. As a member of a marketing organization you will help shape Buffer’s overall go to market strategy, user experience for www.buffer.com (website), email campaigns and marketing collateral.
- Drive market impact: Ensure cross-functional alignment and lead product and feature launches of Buffer's essential tools for small businesses; create and drive comprehensive go-to-market plans for new features from audience definition, development of core value proposition, to launch and sustain through owned and in-product channels. Collaborate closely with product, design, engineering, data, and marketing and contribute to the ideation, research, discovery of new features and product improvements.
- Be the message owner: Develop compelling narratives and positioning for each stage of the self-serve customer journey that differentiates Buffer against our competitors and communicates value to our small business users.
- Become the Market Expert: Understand the ins and outs of the marketing tools SaaS landscape, conduct market analysis, be the company's go-to expert, understand our competitors, and keep track of the evolving market landscape. Keep a strong pulse on the social media management landscape.
- Build Compelling Marketing Content: Be the product's messaging guru and work across our team to help develop the website, blogs, podcasts, and other external-facing content to ensure the right messages are hitting the right audiences. Guide the marketing and growth teams on nurture campaigns to achieve activation and conversion metrics.
- Be the voice of the customer: Understand the needs, pains, and dreams of new users signing up for Buffer. Actively participate in discovery stages of product development work and contribute ideas and recommendations to the product roadmap. Keep your team focused and excited to solve customer problems by connecting the work they do to our customer’s success and our larger mission.
- 5+ years of product marketing or growth marketing experience, with experience marketing B2B SaaS products to small business and prosumers.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills: You love writing, have experience developing narratives and persuading people to try something new, and you care about producing content that will resonate with a broad global audience.
- Prior experience working at product-led growth organizations and/or freemium business models is a big plus.
- Successful track record of launching SaaS products; web products a must. Mobile or developer products (APIs) is a nice to have.
- Experience working with a global team of marketers, product managers, data analysts, and engineers.
- Strong customer focus and empathy.
- Passion for creating a high quality marketing collateral and customer journeys with a keen eye for detail and intuitive user experiences.
- Adept at pairing data with market intuition to always keep decisions moving forward.
- Understanding of key SaaS metrics including MRR, Churn, LTV, ARPU, and how these metrics impact one another.
- Bias towards action with an ability to drive results near term as well as the ability to zoom out and connect the day to day work to our larger mission.
What We Value
Clear communication, transparency, open-mindedness, empathy and patience are just a few of Buffer's cultural values. We are looking for a person who understands this culture and will thrive within a team of people passionate about self-improvement, honesty and openness.
Working at Buffer is collaborative and positive thanks to our core values. We try to be “No Ego Doers” who are aware of our assumptions, and joining us means you'll work together with the team in order to test and confirm our ideas. In our career framework, we choose to focus on the journey, the growth and evolution that is a career.
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you're excited by the possibilities that come with working at Buffer! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits.
💰 Competitive salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is: $142k - $168k USD.
🏝 Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like!
💪 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US.
💻 Home office setup: Get a laptop + $500 to set up your home office!
👓 'Growth mindset' fund: Extra money for learning and development.
⛺️ Minimum vacation: At least 3 weeks/year!
🤑 401(k): With 3% company match.
📈 Profit sharing: When the company does well, all team members share the profits!
🍼 Family leave: 3 months of family leave for all parents, and more is possible.
✈️ Retreats: Join us for company get-togethers twice per year! Our next retreat is in Greece. (These are on pause for now.)
☕️ Working smarter stipend: Get some extra cash for a co-working space or a coffee shop work.
📚 Free books and Kindle: Get a free Kindle and all the free books - digital, physical, and audio - you like, anytime.
⛱ Sabbaticals: Take a 6-week break, fully paid, after every 5 years with Buffer.
Where You'll Work
Buffer is a fully distributed team, which means that we’re spread across the planet. We have Bufferoos in 15 countries, 11 timezones and 42 cities around the world to build a great culture and product.
For this position, we'd strongly prefer a candidate in North or South America timezones.
Here's our hiring process:
Stage 1: Apply to join the team through the form below. If you don't hear from us for the first week or two after submitting your application, don't be alarmed. :)
Stage 2: Values Interview
Stage 3: Team Interview
Stage 4: Take-Home Writing Exercise to evaluate writing style and proficiency
Stage 5: Role Interview
Stage 6: Senior Marketing Interview