Full Stack Software Engineer
You love an app that makes you smile, right? Well, GooseChase was created to help people have a ton of fun. Founded at a University of Waterloo hackathon, we began with the simple idea of making scavenger hunts easy to create. Over the past 10 years, we’ve evolved into a super-flexible digital platform used by millions around the globe!
With all that fun and flexibility, we’ve been growing like crazy. For teachers in the classroom, we’re the new “TV cart”, aka the learning tool that students legitimately look forward to. For today’s workplaces, virtual or otherwise, we help the team connect with each other to the point where they want to come into (or log on) to work. And for local cities and towns, we bring families together in a way that truly builds a sense of community. From fundraisers to math lessons, virtual team events, to campus orientation weeks, GooseChase helps people create engaging, playful, and out-of-the-ordinary experiences to be enjoyed from anywhere.
So what makes our flock of geese so special?
- We are bootstrapped & profitable with no outside investors, meaning we grow at the pace we want to, and put the time into making this the best possible place to work.
- We’re comfortable pushing the boundaries on what work can be - our team follows a 4 day work week & we’ve been fully remote since the beginning. We want our team members to have the flexibility to live wherever and however they want. No office for us, we work from everywhere!
- We offer ever-evolving perks based on what our team members actually want! Some of our most loved programs include quarterly profit-sharing for all full-time members, fully funded co-working space memberships, annual funds for professional and personal development, a super flexible vacation policy, and more!
- We’re playful and a little weird! Our product is designed to help people have fun, so naturally, we’re a silly group of people! We love to play virtual games together, share our travel adventures, and use a lot of gifs, jokes, and bad puns in Slack.
So what exactly is this job?
As a full-stack engineer, you’ll have the opportunity to architect the tools and systems that serve as the connective tissue for our infrastructure, to work seamlessly within our front-end and back-end systems, and to help enable all of our teams to move faster and provide our customers with even more exciting experiences.
From a day to day perspective, you’ll be a core member of our cross-functional product development team, focused on developing cross-system integrations, admin tools, automated marketing systems, testing platforms, and more. Within our product team, there are no silos or artificial barriers, meaning you’ll be working closely with other engineers, designers, and our revenue team with the ultimate goal of providing our customers the best experience possible!
While by no means an exhaustive list, here are some of the things a successful candidate will have experience in:
- Modern front-end web technologies such as Webpack, Express.js, and React.js
- Using server side rendering alongside single page applications
- Server / scripting technologies such as Node.js and Python
- Relational databases such as PostgreSQL and MySQL
- Distributed computing systems such as RabbitMQ, Apache Kafka, Redis
- Open source instrumentation systems such as Prometheus, Grafana, and OpenTelemetry
- Version control - e.g. Git, Mercurial, SVN
- DevOps technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, and Helm
- Managing and deploying services on the public cloud - e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure
- CI/CD technologies such as CircleCI and Jenkins
Looking at how we work, our methodologies are:
- Continuous integration using CircleCI to empower developer autonomy and shorten development cycles
- Agile, with two week sprint cycles
- Daily async check-ins - stay connected to the team, but without zombie standups
- Project management in Asana, with our “office” taking place on Slack & Zoom - we have a very strong gif game
At GooseChase you’ll be working alongside a team of highly motivated, world-class engineers with tons of opportunities for learning, growth, and mentorship. Our product team works closely together, so we are extremely selective about who we hire to ensure the caliber of our engineering talent remains high.
We understand that relevant experience comes in all shapes and sizes and the ability to do the job is all that matters. With that in mind, here are some specific requirements we are looking for in our next full stack software engineer:
- Do you have plenty of real world work experience as a software engineer & can hit the ground running?
- Are you based in the GMT-4 to GMT-8 time zones (North America), so you can work closely with our distributed product team?
- Are you comfortable working remotely within multiple projects and technologies simultaneously with minimal supervision?
- Have you been able to collaborate & communicate successfully with others in a cross-functional team?
- Have you succeeded at building effective tools and software integrations in the past?
- Are you comfortable architecting APIs as well as developing corresponding documentation?
- Can you get down with an uncomfortable amount of goose puns?
Ok the last one isn’t super work related, but we honestly do have a lot of goose puns. It’s one of our favourite parts of our culture!
We do things differently here. We’re all about fun, but also making an impact. We care deeply about working with amazing people, and have set up our company culture specifically for that - our compensation is competitive, our work environment is autonomous and collaborative, and our emphasis is on learning and growth. Put simply, it’s the type of company we actually want to work at ourselves!
Are you ready to fly with us?