Senior Android Engineer
You love an app that makes you smile, right? Well, GooseChase was created to help people have a ton of fun. Founded at a University of Waterloo hackathon, we began with the simple idea of making scavenger hunts easy to create. Over the past 10 years, we’ve evolved into a super-flexible digital platform used by millions around the globe!
With all that fun and flexibility, we’ve been growing like crazy. For teachers in the classroom, we’re the new “TV cart”, aka the learning tool that students legitimately look forward to. For today’s workplaces, virtual or otherwise, we help the team connect with each other to the point where they want to come into (or log on) to work. And for local cities and towns, we bring families together in a way that truly builds a sense of community. From fundraisers to math lessons, virtual team events, to campus orientation weeks, GooseChase helps people create engaging, playful, and out-of-the-ordinary experiences to be enjoyed from anywhere.
So what makes our flock of geese so special?
- We are bootstrapped & profitable with no outside investors, meaning we grow at the pace we want to, and put the time into making this the best possible place to work.
- We’re comfortable pushing the boundaries on what work can be - our team follows a 4 day work week & we’ve been fully remote since the beginning. We want our team members to have the flexibility to live wherever and however they want. No office for us, we work from everywhere!
- We offer ever-evolving perks based on what our team members actually want! Some of our most loved programs include quarterly profit-sharing for all full-time members, fully funded co-working space memberships, annual funds for professional and personal development, a super flexible vacation policy, and more!
- We’re playful and a little weird! Our product is designed to help people have fun, so naturally, we’re a silly group of people! We love to play virtual games together, share our travel adventures, and use a lot of gifs, jokes, and bad puns in Slack.
So what exactly is this job?
If you’re looking for impact & ownership, this is about as good as it gets. You’ll have the opportunity to take the lead on our Android platform going forward, charting our technical path, contributing to our product direction and helping shape the team as we grow!
From a day to day perspective, you’ll be a core member of our cross-functional product development team primarily focused on the participant experience. Within our product team, there are no silos or artificial barriers, meaning you’ll be working closely with other engineers and designers! Whatever will help give our customers the best experience possible!
We recognize building the best products requires using the best tools, so we empower our engineers through access to the best tools and hardware available to remove barriers and enable fast iterating, robust code deployments.
In terms of technologies, you’ll be working on our native Android application, which:
- Is a blend of Java and Kotlin, with new code being written exclusively in Kotlin.
- Currently has an MVC architecture, with openness to migrate to a more modern architecture in the near future.
- Stores data in Realm, with images & videos in S3.
- Interacts with our Django back-end via a REST api.
Looking at how we work, our methodologies are:
- Continuous integration using CircleCI to empower developer autonomy and shorten development cycles.
- Agile, with two week sprint cycles.
- Daily async check-ins - stay connected to the team, but without zombie standups.
- Project management in Asana, with our “office” taking place on Slack & Zoom - we have a very strong gif game.
At GooseChase you’ll be working alongside a team of highly motivated, world-class engineers with tons of opportunities for learning, growth, and mentorship. Our product team works closely together, so we are extremely selective about who we hire to ensure the calibre of our engineering talent remains high. Be prepared to bring your ‘A’ game!
We understand that relevant experience comes in all shapes and sizes and the ability to do the job is all that matters. With that in mind, we aren’t going to put together a generic list of all the requirements that we’re looking for with this job, however, there are certain things we are looking for - specifically:
- Have you succeeded at owning the development and making architectural decisions for at least one Android app used by lots of people? Put another way, are you an Android expert that is excited by the opportunity to own our codebase going forward?
- Have you been able to collaborate & communicate successfully with others in a cross-functional team?
- Do you have very high standards for your work and desire to work with other talented people?
- Do you really care about the Android ecosystem and want to make the apps built for it the best they can possibly be?
- Do you know enough about iOS to collaborate with Attila, our dedicated iOS engineer?
- Are you based in the GMT to GMT+2 time zones, so you can work closely with our distributed product team?
- Can you get down with an uncomfortable amount of goose puns?
Ok the last one isn’t super work related, but we honestly do have a lot of goose puns. It’s one of our favourite parts of our culture!
We do things differently here. We’re all about fun, but also making an impact. We care deeply about working with amazing people, and have set up our company culture specifically for that - our compensation is competitive, our work environment is autonomous and collaborative, and our emphasis is on learning and growth. Put simply, it’s the type of company we actually want to work at ourselves!
Are you ready to fly with us?